We know that reopening your business after months in quarantine comes with a lot of questions, and we want to make sure you are able to reopen safely and effectively!
Below are some things to consider:
Reopenings will be Phased
You’ll want to pay very close attention to your state and county guidelines so you know exactly how you need to adjust. States are planning “phased reopenings” in order to:
- Mitigate the risk of a resurgence of the illness.
- Protect the most vulnerable population.
- Develop an infectious disease preparedness and response plan.
- Prepare to implement basic infection prevention measures.
- Develop, implement, and communicate about workplace flexibilities and protections.
- Implement workplace controls.
Prepare for the "New Normal" - New Order of Operations
- Be prepared to close again.
- Update your Google My Business page, website, and other social media pages.
- Be prepared for customers to be too nervous to come in.
- Create your social distancing plan for when your business is open to the public again:
- Continue offering online, curbside pickup, and delivery options.
- Require reservations or appointments only.
- Only allow a certain number of customers at a time, or per square footage.
- Limit total customer capacity, even down to 25%.
- Redesign layouts to maintain 6 feet of distance between customers.
- Provide insight on how you’ll be keeping your customers and employees safe moving forward:
- Eliminate shared equipment (even pens for signing receipts).
- Eliminate personal contact during check-in, check-out, paying.
- Change hours/shift details to minimize employees.
- Screen employees for temperature and other COVID-19 symptoms.
- Have all employees wear masks and gloves.
- Wash hands frequently.
Communicate, communicate, communicate
Effective communication about your reopening strategy is critical. With the avalanche of negative pandemic news over many weeks, your audiences will be open to hearing positive news — no matter how general.
Use Signpost to get the word out! You’ll find new COVID-19 campaign templates in your Content Library framed for businesses opening their doors soon.
- OVER-communicate all of your plans to customers with One-Time Campaigns, text messages, and/or social media posts.
- Show empathy first and foremost; customers may have suffered from loss or still have friends/family fighting this
- Customers will expect a very high standard of adherence, so make sure your words and actions align.
- Be prepared for customers to either agree or disagree with your decision to reopen - or not reopen. Think about how you’ll want to handle any negative- or even positive commentary! Address concerns of those with negative reactions and communicate messages of thanks or appreciation for those with positive reactions.
- Re-evaluate how your business is doing weekly - change, adapt, and share information quickly.
- Redirect customers to read best practices on reputable sources like the WHO and CDC. Helping to educate your customers on how to be safe, and why you are taking on new preventative measures can help to build trust in you and your brand.
The reality is, conditions are changing rapidly and will continue to do so in the coming months. Keeping a pulse on your business plans are going to be very important. Your ability to prepare, change, adapt, and communicate quickly will continue to be critical.
And don't forget we're here to help! Book an appointment with our Customer Success Team today.