Legally, a customer can opt into your SMS texting list in 1 of 2 ways:
- Calling your forwarding phone number, and becoming eligible for you to send an SMS opt-in request.
- Texting the word "start" to your forwarding phone number.
Pro tip: put up a sign in your storefront, or post these directions on your social media pages! (Example: "Text START to (your forwarding number) to begin receiving our exclusive offers and updates!")
Send Opt-in Requests
Customers are only eligible to receive an opt-in request if they have called your tracking phone number. The opt-in request needs to be sent by you, by logging into your Merchant Center:
- Log into your Merchant Center and locate the notification bell in the upper righthand corner of your account, which displays the number of your callers eligible for opt-in
- Click "View Eligible Customers," "Send to Selected," and "Send Now." These callers will receive a request asking if they want to join your texting list
- Note that legally, you can send 50 opt-in requests at a time. If you have more than 50 eligible, your list will refresh momentarily and you can repeat step 3 until the list is cleared.