Upload Your Contact List File
1. Navigate to your "Contacts" tab and click "Upload Contacts" in the top right-hand corner
2. Indicate that you have permission* to upload these email addresses, then click the "Choose a File" button and select the file you wish to upload
3. Indicate in which column the important information like email address, name, and phone number are located and click "Continue"
4. Review the Final Confirmation of contacts that our software will be able to upload. At this point, you can also choose a segmented list to add your contacts to or create a new one. Finally, click "Save valid contacts."
In the event that you are unable to resolve an error and you've already used the "Download full report" link for more details, you can submit the list to your account manager with the "Get Help" link.
Errors in your Final Confirmation
Errors that pop up in your Final Confirmation can usually be ignored; however, if there are a large number of them, you may want to take another look at your list file and clean it up before you upload it. Possible errors include:
- Invalid phone: This means that our system found some phone numbers that are not ten digits long. This includes phone numbers missing area codes, phone numbers with extensions, phone numbers with "information" area codes (such as 800 and 855), and phone numbers with text in the same box (such as "Cell: 800-555-1234" or "John 800-555-1234).
- Invalid email: This means that our system found some email addresses that are incomplete. This includes addresses that are missing the @ symbol, addresses missing the final .com or equivalent, addresses with spaces or invalid characters, or words/websites not in an email address format.
- Non-marketable emails: This means that our system found some email addresses that are typically not associated with an individual (ex: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com) or contain a domain name for a company that we cannot send emails to.
- No email or phone data: This means that our system found a row that did not have any information that could be pulled into your account.
If you are having trouble uploading your list file, it may be formatted incorrectly. Make sure that your file meets all of the following criteria:
- Set up as a spreadsheet. Our system can only handle lists that have been set up in a spreadsheet-style program, such as Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets.
- Saved as a .csv (Comma-Separated Values) file extension. When you go to save or export your list, make sure you change the file extension to this format before clicking "Save" or "Export."
- Informational values (names, phone numbers, and email addresses) in separate columns from one another. Our system pulls all the entries in a particular column for each of these categories. (Names can be split into two columns for "First Name" and "Last Name" if needed.) Below are the two accepted methods.
- No rows present above the title row. Row 1 should only contain the titles of the values listed below them ("Name," "Phone," "Email," etc.)
- All phone/email values in one column. If you have multiple columns for these categories (ex: Home Phone/Mobile Phone/Office Phone columns or Email 1/Email 2 columns), only one of them will be pulled into our system.
Important Note: Contacts that already exist in your account will not be uploaded to avoid duplicates. If, however, you are uploading your new file into a segmented list, the existing contact will be pulled into the new list.
*Before uploading email contacts into your Signpost file, you must have permission to send marketing messages to those contacts. Permission is considered given if you have communicated with the client through email before or if they provided you with their email address. Contact lists purchased through a third party do NOT meet our permission guidelines.