There are 3 ways customer contacts are added to your Signpost Account:
- Attaching your customer-facing email address to Signpost
- Uploading a customer contact list to your Merchant Center
- Manually adding contacts to your Merchant Center
Note: Before uploading email contacts into your Signpost profile, you must have consent to send marketing messages to those contacts. Consent is considered given if you have communicated with the client through email before or if they provided you with their email address. Contact lists purchased through a third party do not meet our consent guidelines.
1. Attaching your email
Attaching your customer-facing email is the fastest and most immediate method to add contacts. This step is usually completed during your initial account setup since it automatically imports all past, present, and future contacts. If you would like to sync your email account to your Signpost account after your onboard:
- From the “Settings” page, navigate to the “Customer” tab on the left
- Click "Add a new email ," enter the new email address & password, and choose "Add Email" to finish
2. Uploading a customer contact list
All Signpost accounts have a feature allowing you to upload contact lists to your account at any time.
First, ensure that your list is formatted correctly. In order for our system to capture the data, your list must be set up in a spreadsheet with the customer names, phone numbers, and email addresses in separate columns.
Once your list is formatted correctly, simply save it or export it as a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file.
To upload your list:
- Navigate to your Contacts tab and click “Upload Contacts in the top right-hand corner
- Click the “Choose a File” button and select the file you wish to upload
- Indicate in which column the important information like email address, name, and phone number are located and click “Continue”
- Review the final confirmation of contacts our software will be able to upload. At this point, you can also choose a segmented list to add your contacts to or create a new one.
In the event that you are unable to resolve an error and you've already used the "Download full report" link for more details, you can submit the list to your account manager with the "Get Help" link.
3. Manually adding contacts
Manually adding contacts is easy and encouraged, particularly if your contact base is smaller. Adding a few new contacts each week can have a big impact on the results of your automated marketing. To add individual contacts:
- Navigate to your “Customer Contacts” page
- Click “Add Customer” in the upper right
- Fill in the new contact information
- Click “Add Customer” to complete